Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Lazy Winter Days

As you know, I drive to work and often grumble about the hazards of the road. During the winter these hazards increase; snowy, icy conditions, trucks spewing out salt or sand, frosty limbs cracking off trees from the bitter cold. By far the most perilous is the lack of clean up after a big storm. No, I am not talking about the roads, but the vehicles that are actually being driven. I have never seen such lazy, inconsiderate people, driving the highways and parkways after a snowstorm.
The major offenders, as you may have surmised, are the SUVs. The drivers of these gas-guzzlers only clean the areas they can see or reach. As a result, the top of the vehicle becomes a virtual arsenal. As they accelerate, the snow flies off, blinding the driver behind them, pummeling them with blobs of snow the faster they go, causing them to veer left and right, dodging the projectiles as if they are Han Solo piloting the Millnennium Falcon. In the days to come, as the snow turns to ice, the offensive vehicle upgrades to a death machine!
To my utter shock and annoyance I discovered smaller vehicles are just as bad (you can ALMOST excuse the SUVs!). The day after a big storm, while cruising along in the left lane, a snow-covered compact car cut in front of me. Covered in snow from front to back, the lazy commuter did manage to clear a six-inch diameter of window so he could see out the back. As he tried to pick up speed, the snow blew from all directions, blinding me. I was incensed, but before any large chunks could disengage and pound me, I sped by, glaring at him, wondering whom the moron was behind the wheel. I could not believe this vehicle was on the road.
I am sure I have heard somewhere this is illegal, but I have never seen anyone pulled over, getting a ticket for a snow- covered vehicle. It is a goldmine out there after a storm! As we enter the month of March, another snowstorm has battered the east coast. Coming in like a lion, it looks like I will spend the first week of the month dealing with these yahoos once again, hopefully for the last time this winter season.
Uffa!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

First off I LOVE the term "yahoos" to describe idiotic people. Lol. Second, I have this problem too, especially on the major highways. My husband actually had a sheet of ice hit his Jeep window from some "yahoo" in a Mercedes that couldn't clean off her car in its entirety. It's not only annoying but extremely dangerous! And what's with the people that literally clear that 6 inch circle so they can see out the front windshield?! I mean, come on!! Uffa is right! ;)

UFFA! - Rants of a Sassy Sarcastic Signorina said...

Thank you Court, for ranting in:) It is dangerous out there in general and these lazy morons make it an even treacherous situation! I for one would love to play vigilante and hand out my own tickets.
RANT ON!!!