Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Technophile or Lunatic?

There are days when I am so overwhelmed by the technology around us; the constant updates and new inventions. It is really mind numbing and I think there are times I may subconsciously resist learning anything new. I often wish I could be more like my mom in this case. I envy the fact that she does not have a computer or e-mail address and find it endearing that she will now and then ask me to “look on the Ebay” (her word for Internet) for information. There are frustrating moments in life when I wish I had not gotten on that technology train and just remained standing in the station with my mom.
The other day I was sitting in my car at a red light and noticed a woman at a bus stop. For the life of me I could not figure out if she was talking on a cell phone or if she was conversing with the voices in her head. She had long (clean) hair so I could not see if there was a blue-tooth on her ear. She appeared to be well dressed; no shopping bags filled with valuables. As I watched, her head bopped and her lips moved; she was quite lively in her conversation. I was very intrigued, curious to know if she had one of the latest cell phone gizmos or if she had gremlins running through her head. As the light changed, I rolled past and gave her one last glance. It would have to remain a mystery.
The animated stranger did get me thinking, however. There has been such an explosion of technology and it can only get more overwhelming the older I get. I figure the technology train can only go in one direction and that is on the express track to Loopy Town. I have a corner all picked out.
Uffa!

No comments: