Monday, December 1, 2008

Drop, Roll and Shop

We have now entered my least favorite time of year and I only say that because it requires participation in one of my least favorite American past time, SHOPPING! I hate the whole process; driving to the indoor mall, jockeying for a parking space, hunting for the perfect gift for that imperfect someone, dodging impatient crowds, nasty, uninformed salespeople and always standing in the wrong line (save that for another rant!). It is regretful because I have always loved Christmas, but it has become quite barbaric, as we have seen this past Black Friday.
I am sure you read or heard on the news about the poor security guard that was trampled to death just inside a Wal-Mart. It seems the crowd could not wait for the doors to open during the designated hour. What were they giving away? A deed to a house? The keys to a new car? I read there was a woman in the crowd who was eight months pregnant. What was she thinking? Not about herself or her unborn child obviously, but about the five dollars savings on that DVD player.
Nothing would get me out of bed at 4am to stand in front of a store with a crowd of people who could potentially murder me for the chance to get through the doors first and get their hands on the latest Elmo doll. Is there really that much of a savings on Black Friday that you cannot get on other days during the holiday season? I do not believe it.
My friends laughed at me because I would not venture into a mall on the Sunday after Black Friday to see a movie; I called it Black Weekend. I think from now until after Christmas the sales will be just as plentiful, the malls will be just as crazy and people will be even more uncivilized. Funny how this shopping season coincides with hunting season each year. It seems to me there are many similarities.
Uffa!

1 comment:

yahya said...

Wonderful blog post. This is absolute magic from you! I have never seen a more wonderful post than this one. You've really made my day today with this. I hope you keep this up! green waste removal